• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

is health happiness ?

if im healthy i have a feeling of goodness and well being. so i guess being healthy is feeling good

Health, for me is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. I don't know though, don't want to put to much thought into it.

Something that I take for granted until something goes wrong. I recently had chest x-rays, an ECG and blood tests, I didn't know what the docs were looking for until I got the all clear, turns out it was a blood clot. The 2 hours I had to wait were the longest of my life, except the time I had to wait for HIV results. Each time my health is threatened I'm reminded we should be grateful for our health every single day.

Health, for me is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. I don't know though, don't want to put to much thought into it.
lol, thats the wiki definition of it

is copy pasta healthy ?

chicken and egg, each can help prop up the other

for me they certainly do

i find it hard to be happy if i am not physically healthy.

in fact most of the time it is hard for me to be happy unless i am in peak physical condition.

being corporeally sound and enjoying the ballast, reliability and supplementation of energy that it affords causes me real mental tranquility.

mental health for me is exercise i guess. my last semester of uni i had to take sport psych & did a nice meta-analysis of exercise's link w/ depression, more specifically BDNF & some of its friends. stuff is so cool :D

Health is definitely necessary for happiness and is the basic element needed for any type of existence. I don't think good health automatically equals happiness, but it makes it much easier to obtain.

Happiness and all other emotions come from the brain, which can only function properly when it gets the nutrition it needs. There was a study recently showing that women who eat a typical American diet are twice as likely to suffer from anxiety and depression than women eating a healthy diet of complex carbs, lean protein and healthy fats.

Regarding depression and other mood disorders, I think health plays a bigger role than most people realize. The exercise/endorphin and sunlight/serotonin connections are also vital for good mental health.

So on some level, health makes happiness much easier to achieve. To me, good health is something I've never really known but consider a gift and a blessing.

I disagree, I think physical health is absolutely necessary for happiness, and I say this as someone who's had to struggle for health her whole life and never has taken it for granted. I spent so much of my youth sick in bed, or covered in hives, drugged up on medication... it hurt to see the other kids playing outside through my window and wish that I could just be normal.

I still feel that way, often times today. I just missed out on Halloween for being sick in bed. :( It just... sucks. BUT. I do agree it's a chicken and egg thing. Falling into a too negative perspective makes it much harder to heal. What helps me is to try and be thankful for my health struggles, as hard as it is, because they have led me down a path to such a pristine diet and lifestyle. I've learned so much over the years about food and alternative medicine, stuff I probably never would have learned had I not been forced to. I've gotten so much better and healed a lot but as my idol Kris Carr says, "it's a 24 hour job, you're always at the office of healing."

Is health happiness?

Personally I think that's a really good question. As I'm pretty sure some of this year I was doing the right things that contribute to health, like 30 minutes exercise most days of the week, eating the right amount of calories and cutting out sugar.

I ended up losing about 10kg.

The shit thing is though... It really didn't make me happier at all. I haven't exercise in the last 2 or three weeks, have let myself eat random junk food and upped my sugar intake the same as before.
I can even see my belly getting a bit bigger, but somehow I feel LESS stressed and more relaxed then when I was going to the gym all the time and eating better.

I don't get it :?

physically i am way fitter than the average person

but mentally i am depressed

am i healthy? you tell me

I would still say you are not healthy because if you are depressed something is clearly out of balance. Health is much more than fitness. A very fit person could get cancer too. Our bodies and minds are such complex things that attaining perfect health in all areas for the whole of our lives is close to impossible; this is why health is always a work in progress. It's the journey, not the destination... because no matter what the "destination" for all of us is always death.

Just a few of my favorite quotes about health...

A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor's book. ~Irish Proverb

Health is a state of complete harmony of the body, mind and spirit. When one is free from physical disabilities and mental distractions, the gates of the soul open.
~B.K.S. Iyengar

"One of the most sublime experiences we can ever have is to to wake up feeling healthy after we have been sick."
Rabbi Harold Kushner

well my whole life up till about 5 years ago i was totaly ripped .
Every muscle on my body stood out and i was in very good shape .
But by no meens was i mentaly healthy or happy.......